Here are some points that were discussed on the new canon in the Star Wars universe. These points were discussed at the Star Wars Celebration that happened in Anaheim, California. To read the entire post make sure to click through to the original source.
- One cohesive saga across all media is being told going forward with the new setting.
- A goal of the Lucasfilm Story Group is to make sure that no real conflicts in storytelling take place in regards to continuity errors.
- The concept of the LSG was Kathleen Kennedy’s idea, and it helps with the flood of the rapidly-increasing amount of canonical content being made.
- The old EU (Legends) was completely liquidated to avoid playing favorites; it was described as being a tough call, though completely necessary.
- Legends are used as source material for filling in some details (such as the physical size and mass of the Death Star).
- Legends re-canonization only happens when it makes sense (Hutts are no longer hermaphrodites for this reason).
Via Star Wars 7 News