Star Wars: The Old Republic (TOR) kicked off at E3 with the help of the local 501st Legion. Championed by costumed Jedi and Sith from the Old Republic era, Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder and General Manager/CEO of BioWare and General Manager/Vice President of Electronic Arts Inc., and Darrell Rodriguez, President of LucasArts, revealed the first TOR cinematic trailer, “Deceived”, at the 2009 EA Press conference.
At the TOR booth, the team took E3ers through the first live demo featuring a closer look at the game’s newly revealed class, the Smuggler, as well as the combat, flashpoint, cover, and multiplayer dialogue systems.
Highlighted features from the demo:
- TOR will be the first fully voiced MMO – Every playable character (male and female) and every non-playable character in the game will be brought to life by voice actors – resulting in several thousand speaking roles and hundreds of thousands of recorded lines of dialogue! This gives players a compelling and immersive story telling experience.
- Choice matters – Story drives choice, and choice drives action. Critical choices impact the outcome of your story dramatically. In the demo of an Imperial Flashpoint, attendees had to decide whether to kill an Imperial Captain who disobeyed a direct order, or to spare the Captain’s life. Depending on the choice, the TOR demo went in two different directions, each group seeing unique areas and content. Explore the press write ups below to find out what each path was like.
- Meet the Smuggler – Blast, bargain, and charm your way through the war-torn planet of Ord Mantell. Inspired by Han Solo, the Smuggler can unleash a flurry of bolts from his blaster or dodge a patrolling group of Separatist soldiers all while hijacking enemy contraband.
- Cover System – The first cover system of this type in an MMO! The demo team showed off the cover system for the Smuggler. Gain a tactical advantage by taking cover behind various objects (trees, rocks, buildings, etc.). When in cover, characters can switch to other cover points and also have access to special abilities.
- Unique class stories – Each class story is exclusive and storylines are also specific to each allegiance. For example: the storyline for a Smuggler (a Republic Class) is 100% different from the Bounty Hunter story (a Sith Empire class). You won’t share any content or missions.
- Multiplayer dialogue system – Another MMO first! E3ers got a preview at a new multiplayer dialogue system that allows players to engage in the storyline choices together. This creates a highly interactive and immersive gaming experience.
- Additional TOR features – The TOR team would like fans to know that Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively multiplayer online game with all the features that players can expect from a MMO.
The Development Teams at BioWare and LucasArts would like to thank the press, fans and community for all of their support. We plan to have even more new and exciting updates for you as we progress on our journey of creating Star Wars: The Old Republic.
Check out some of the E3 highlights from the perspective of the attendees:
- 1Up – Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 2009 Preview
- Destructoid – Star Wars: The Old Republic Live Demo Impressions
- G4TV – Star Wars: The Old Republic Preview
- Gamasutra – Bringing Story to the Forefront In Star Wars: The Old Republic
- GameSpot – Exclusive Q&A – The Smuggler Profession and E3 2009
- GameSpot – Combat, Bounty Hunters, Smugglers, and Gameplay
- GameSpot – Star Wars: The Old Republic Stage Show
- GameSpy – Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 2009 Preview
- Giant Bomb – Interview: BioWare, Uncut
- Gophn – E3 2009 Exclusive Interview
- IncGamers – Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 2009 Coverage
- IGN – Star Wars: The Old Republic Demo
- Joystiq – Hands-On: Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Kotaku – Star Wars: The Old Republic Preview: Bam, Here It Is
- Kotaku – The Old Republic Wordier Than Entire Run of the Sopranos
- Massively – Star Wars: The Old Republic Demonstration
- MTV Multiplayer – Sex In Star Wars: The Old Republic?
- Now Gamer – Star Wars: The Old Republic Behind Closed Doors
- Rock, Paper, Shotgun – Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Shacknews – Ready to Play KOTOR 3 With a Few Thousand People?
- StarWarsMMO – Interview with Tom Nichols
- StarWarsMMO – Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 Demo Preview
- Ten Ton Hammer – Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 Demo Report
- Ten Ton Hammer – Update with Gordon Walton and Rich Vogel
- Time – A Disturbance in the Force
- Zam – Star Wars: The Old Republic at E3
The TOR Team is honored to have caught the attention of the press and TOR has garnered the following awards thus far: