Launcher Patch notes – New streaming Feature
EA installs BitRaider, reduces long patch downloads, patch on the fly? We Hope so.
Launcher Update Patch Notes
New Launcher Feature: Streaming Mode! The Launcher now uses a streaming mode, which will allow new players to begin playing prior to downloading the entire game.
- Current players with an existing installation:
- All patching and playing functions are as before, as the streaming mode offers no advantage.
- All new installs of the game will see the new streaming interface.
- After an initial download period, the “Play” button will be active and players can create a character and begin the Origin World experience as the rest of the game downloads in the background.
- The time it takes to get to a playable state depends on the speed of your Internet connection:
- On a standard 6Mb/s connection, you should be ready to play in under 2 hours.
- For Internet connection speeds that are less than 6Mb/s, we suggest that players allow the install to complete before playing.
- For Internet connection speeds that are less than 1.5Mb/s, players will encounter a very poor experience attempting to play while downloading in the background, and it is highly recommended that the download is allowed to complete before playing.
- Current players who are reinstalling to a new PC or location must wait for the download to complete before playing any existing characters.
It’s good to see this in SWTOR. I can see how such a large game download could turn a lot of people off the game, especially more casual players that are located in areas with a less than perfect Internet connection. Hopefully this will encourage people to get in, play the game, and really increase overall interest in this game.